Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Book Review: Deacon Locke Went to Prom by Brian Katcher

Book: Deacon Locke Went to Prom by Brian Katcher
Genre: YA Contemporary
Rating:★★★★★

Wow, so this book grabbed me from the first page because I fell in love with the main dude from the opening line. This would be a great book to illustrate the use of voice to wannabe authors. Yeah, this dude, this Deacon Locke, had me from the start.

So our boy, Deacon Locke, has been living with his grandma for a few years now, since his dad basically disappeared. (I can't remember what happened to his mom at the moment, but she is not around either.) So his grandma takes him in for his high school years.

And now he's a senior and he feels like he needs to experience prom,  just to say he has. But he is too shy to do something about it. And he misses his chance.

So he decides to take his grandma to prom, since she never got to go when she was in high school because his grandpa had to go to the Vietnam war.

Sweet, eh?

And everyone in his school thought so too, so they all take out their phones to film them! That's because they've (Deacon and his grandma that is) been taking dance lessons and they are awesome!

So now this shy boy. Tall, awkward, astronomy geek and now in love with his dance teacher, becomes an internet sensation. What's a guy to do?

So stuff happens. And then other stuff happens. And Deacon becomes extremely stressed out. And how does he fix it all?

Read the book.

It's such an awesome friendship book. And relationship book, with Deacon and his grandma at the heart of it. Lots of funny moments. And sad moments. And romance moments. It has it all. I loved it.

And I've never heard of this author. I need to go read all his other stuff now.




6 comments:

  1. This one does sound adorable. I’m glad you loved it. I should check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny: You totally should...I would love to see what you think.

      Delete
  2. Hey, thanks for the great review! Yes, you should immediately go out and read my other stuff. I'll wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude! You commented on my review? Well... now I HAVE to go read all your other stuff for sure!!! :)

      Delete
  3. Awww, this sounds super cute. I hadn't heard of it before, but now I definitely need to check it out. Thanks for the rec! And what a fun comment from the author :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to add this one to my TBR. I think I might like it. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails